Looking back at land distribution in pre-American Los Angeles County — pictorial map of Spanish and Mexican ranchos. The Old Spanish and Mexican Ranchos of Los Angeles County. Of immediate interest to anyone interested in the history of Los Angeles, this hybrid map and bird’s-eye-view elegantly delineates land claims in Los Angeles as existed before the conclusion of the Mexican-American War and the inclusion of California as part of the United States. It was drawn in 1937 by Gerald A. In order to support their military presidios, the Spanish established their first civic pueblos in what is now Los Angeles County in the year 1777. The Spanish era lasted until 1821, when Mexico gained independence from Spain. At the time of the American victory of the Mexican-American War and the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo in 1848, there were over three dozen ranchos located in present day Los Angeles County. The largest of these ranchos was comprised of former San Fernando mission lands, labeled. Rancho Ex-Mission San Fernando. At the center of the map is the lands of the Pueblo of Los Angeles. On either side Eddy has used a lighter shade of green to delineate public lands; lands set aside to allow for common grazing for ranchers to use so they wouldnt overgraze their own properties. Each rancho has a fascinating history and this map is an excellent and attractive stepping stone to further study. Minor soiling at the edges, a short tear at the left edge; otherwise a clean lovely item. 1 – 10 days. If your address is a P. Duty varies by country and we cannot predict the amount you will be charged. Some countries are duty free, others are not. The item “The Old Spanish and Mexican Ranchos of Los Angeles County” is in sale since Friday, December 6, 2019. This item is in the category “Antiques\Maps, Atlases & Globes\North America Maps”. The seller is “neatlinemaps” and is located in San Francisco, California. This item can be shipped worldwide.
- Year: 1937
- Country/Region: United States
- City: Los Angeles
- Cartographer/Publisher: Gerald A. Eddy
- Format: 42 x 47 cm (16.5 x 18.5 in)
- Original/Reproduction: Original